Friday, March 25, 2016

Hyperion #1



Hyperion, Issue #1 is a comic I bought simply because it's Marvel.  I've been reading more Marvel lately, and I thought I'd give this title a chance.  Doll is a carny mechanic on the run from her "family," and she thinks she knows that a particular truck driver is Hyperion, the refugee superhero from another universe.  He is taking time off from Squadron Supreme, a group of super-powered beings who either no longer have a world of their own or aren't welcome on their home worlds.  The truck driver's name is Marc, and he gives Doll a lift.

I'm reading a lot of comics, perhaps too many.  I'd planned on picking up Hyperion this week because outside of Cry Havoc, Issue #3 and Ringside, Issue #5, there wasn't much going on this Wednesday, when new comics came out.  Hyperion caught my eye because the main character is described as "a hero and a teacher."  He's against violence to the point that he throws Doll's gun out the window, but when it's time for violence, he's prepared.

There are, of course, many questions that remain unanswered.  Which world is this in?  Will Marcus really kill a bunch of people?  Is that okay?  The realization of this comic is top notch.  I particularly like how the artist, Nik Virella, gives an impression of movement, of speed as they're barreling down the highway in a semi, headed for a crazed strongman in a monster truck.  Did I mention this title is kinda' cool?  And I would be remiss if I didn't mention the colorist, Romulo Fajardo, Jr.  Doll has blue-green hair, but it's never the exact same blue-green; it's different depending on the light she's in.  The same goes for Hyperion's yellow cape.  The letters by VC's joe Caramagna are in a style I like.  I've written about his work in previous reviews.

The verdict?  This is a fun, easily-enjoyed comic.  It isn't bogged down with excessive dialogue or overly intricate drawings, not that either doesn't have its place now and again.  I hope Doll remains in the comic because she serves as a good damsel in distress and narrator.  I'll buy Issue #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment