Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Rocket Girl


Rocket Girl #3

Rocket Girl is a title I borrowed from Comixology Unlimited because the cover art caught my eye.  I read a few pages, and it was funny and well drawn, so I kept reading.  It stars Detective Dayoung Johansson of the New York Teen Police Department.  She's 15, and she's from the future, the year 2013, but not the 2013 we were aware of.  She goes back in time to 1986 to stop Quintum Mechanics from changing the past to their benefit in the future.  She stays in 1986, becoming Rocket Girl.

The scenes of 1986 New York City are almost uncannily accurate, like scenes out of Taxi Driver, although that movie was filmed a bit earlier. In the 1980s and early 1990s, Times Square was a mess.  Then came a mayor who was tough on crime, Rudy Giuliani, who instituted stop-and-frisk policies, racial profiling, and the like.  He cleaned up Times Square, but at a price.  This also took place at a time when crime decreased throughout America due perhaps to the decrease in atmospheric lead, which has gone down since hitting its peak at 1993.

As of the time I'm writing this, I've only read Issue #1 of Rocket Girl, although the first three issues are free with my Comixology Unlimited account.  I'll probably read up to Issue #7, which is as far as this very good series got when it ended in 2015.  The issues cost $1.99 each, but the first three are free, so it'll cost around $8.  The first trade paperback collects Issue #1 through Issue #5, and the last two issues are only available in comic-book or digital form.

No comments:

Post a Comment