Monday, August 14, 2017

Breakfast at Tiffany's


Breakfast at Tiffany's Audiobook

Breakfast at Tiffany's is the latest in my novella/short novel kick.  At 192 pages, it runs for under three hours on Audible, and it's read by Michael C. Hall from Dexter and Six Feet Under.  It had been in my wish list for some time when it became the Daily Deal yesterday; I bought it for $1.95.  Narrated by Fred, an unpublished writer living in the same poor tenement as the main character, Holly Golightly, it tells the story of the two of them, their friendship, and most importantly, Golightly's story.

When you're reading a bunch of good literature, it's hard to say how one stands out sometimes.  In the case of Breakfast at Tiffany's, it's many things.  It's the characters.  It's 1943 New York.  It's the prose.  It's Holly, it's Holly, it's Holly.  I haven't been this entranced by a female character in literature since I first saw Bizet's Carmen by the San Diego Opera, after which I immediately went home and wrote a one-act play.  Holly made me want to become a writer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment