Monday, July 25, 2016

Poe Dameron #4



Star Wars: Poe Dameron, Issue #4 begins with Poe Dameron, hanging upside down, in front of a group of Hutts lead by Grakkus the Hutt, who features heavily in Jason Aaron's Star Wars, Issue #7 through Issue #12; he's a collector of Jedi lore, and somehow, he has survived his meeting with Darth Vader.  Earlier, Dameron is debriefing Black Squadron following the situation with the Galactic Egg in Issue #1 through Issue #3.  They're going after Grakkus the Hutt, who is still in prison.  Black Squadron is going to break in, and hopefully break out.

I'm currently reading three Star Wars titles on Marvel: this one, Aaron's Star Wars, and the comic adaptation of The Force Awakens.  All of them are very good, and as I mentioned earlier, they tie into each other.  I've written about my admiration of Soule's Agent Terex, although I don't see how he can lose repeatedly without looking like a nincompoop.  I also like Grakkus as a Hutt who is an expert in Jedi lore; Soule's inclusion of him in this comic is a nice piece of work.

Poe Dameron is my favorite of the three comics mentioned and at the same time my least favorite.  Its strength is also its weakness: most of the characters are invented, and it's easier to follow the adventure of characters I've worshiped for 40 years like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo.  This is a harder title to write, but I sort of think the writing is stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment