Friday, December 9, 2016

A.D. After Death, Book One


A.D.: After Death Book 1

A.D. After Death, Book One is a combination of prose, drawings, and comics by Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire, both of whom I'm big fans of.  The premise is simple.  A man in his 40s finds a cure for death.  Book One begins with this man's first memory as a child on vacation with his parents in 1970s Florida and stretches to the year 825 "A.D." or after people stopped dying because of him.  No explanation is given as to how death stops happening or who is affected.  It's just a fun comic about this man who did something extraordinary.

This series has received a lot of praise and rightly so.  I've even heard that a movie adaptation is in the wings, although I do hear that a lot.  The comic costs $5.99, but it took an hour for me to read because of all the prose text and neat things to look at.  It's also a half inch taller and an inch wider than an average comic, so it probably won't fit in your long box.

This is one of the good ones.  I mean, I generally like all the series I follow, but a few stand out among the rest.  A.D. After Death, Book One has the feel of a Retrofit comic, but it's even better than what they've been putting out, and as someone with dozens of their comics, me saying this says a lot.  There are going to be three books in this short series, with the next one coming out in two or three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment