Thursday, December 22, 2016

Study Group Magazine #2


Image result for study group comics magazine #2

Study Group Magazine, Issue #2 came in the mail today, and I couldn't be happier. I put on my favorite art-rock piece, "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" by Elton John, and started reading. I got through the entire album side before I got through even a fifth of the magazine. There is so much to see and read; it's a mix of comics and prose articles about comic makers, including several interviews.

I first became acquainted with Study Group Magazine when I started buying Titan, and the friendly comics book retailer told me about the magazine series. I went to the Study Group website powered by Storenvy and got a number of items, including Power Button #0, which I've already reviewed (the stuff I ordered came in two shipments) and Issue #2 through Issue #4 of the magazine, which came today.

My sister and a few friends live up in Portland, hanging around the local and national punk/folk/DIY scene.  The talent of those nomad punk rockers can be off the charts, just like the talent of the lesser-known comics who publish their work in Retrofit, Study Group, and all the others.  I don't know, but to some of us, those lesser-known comics are special (my favorite is still Cowboys and Insects).  I also got a couple of Retrofit comics in the mail today, so I'll be reviewing those when I get the energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment