Thursday, September 22, 2016

Civil War II #5

Image result for civil war ii 5Civil War II, Issue #5 is finally here.  The main artist on the project, David Marquez, had a child recently, so the delay is forgivable.  Now onto the comic.  It starts with the two sides clashing over the Statue of Liberty.  Like much of Brian Michael Bendis's work, there's a lot of dialogue.  On top of that, the artwork is very detailed.  There's a lot in this comic, including a lot of advertisements.  I'm normally pretty cool with ads in comics.  It's just par for the course at this stage, especially with Marvel and DC titles, but somehow they ruin the flow of this title.

Civil War II is a thousand times better than the original Civil War.  The basic idea behind the new conflict is future crimes.  An inhuman named Ulysses has the power to see the future, but Iron Man realizes that it's just something any super-powerful computer could do.  In fact, Iron Man has put Ulysses power into a computer of his own.  But what happens when Ulysses's visions becomes so powerful that everyone can see them?

I realize that I need to read more Civil War II.  It's pretty damn cool, and I've avoided all the tie-ins because I make money sporadically, and now I'm in one of the extra-sporadic periods.  My plan is to buy the trade paperbacks as they come out off Amazon.  I know I'm missing some of the story, but I simply can't afford to get all of the story as it happens.  Here's a shopping list for those that are going the trade paperback route in full:

  • Civil War II: January (Hardback) $35
  • Civil War II: Choosing Sides: November, $20
  • Civil War II: The Amazing Spider-Man: November, $15
  • Civil War II: X-Men: November, $15
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Civil War II, December, $15
  • Civil War II Fallout, March, $11
  • Civil War II: Gods of War: November, $16
I'll probably buy most or all of those.  I've been in the middle of Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5 since it came out.  It's a good title, but I haven't kept up with it.  I've also been meaning to read Hawkeye, Vol. 6 for about the same length of time.  I don't know if they'll come out with a Civil War II title about Hawkeye, given that his role in it is so pivotal yet so small.  I think it's better left untold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment