Monday, September 12, 2016

She Wolf #3

Image result for She Wolf #3She Wolf, Spell Number Three: Ancient Incantations begins with a nightmarish scenario in a church basement, where three werewolf-like creatures are chained to the wall, while a pastor leads them in prayer.  Is it real or is it a nightmare?  Gabby then receive a vision of how the first werewolf was created, and how the curse was passed down from generation to generation, down to her.  She learns about how the Devil himself was summoned by an enchanter - her ancestor and a citizen of the Roman Empire - and how that enchanter became the "dog" of the Devil due to a tiny flaw in his circle.

Issue #4 comes out September 21, and that will conclude Season One.  While I do have trouble keeping up with all the various comics I read, She Wolf is a title that I'll hold on to.  I've filled up an entire long box with comics over the past year, and I'm ready to start a new long box.  Here are a few reasons I like this title:

  • Werewolves are overdone, and it's refreshing to see a werewolf story done in a new light.
  • The panel with Gabby's mom doing the dishes reminds me of R. Crumb.
  • The coloring is perhaps the highlight of the series, especially the yellow moonlight.
  • I love the pin-ups at the end of the comic.  I'm using part of one as my avatar on a forum.
  • The hair on the various creatures is so simply done yet so powerful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment